Why Quality Rope Is Important
For most people rope is not a part of their everyday experience, so a rope is a rope. Nothing can be further from the truth, however. Two ropes that look the same under a cursory glance could differ greatly in quality. A good quality rope will perform better, it will be consistent over time, and it will last longer – this is why quality rope is important.
For example a rope that is used in rigging: a low quality rope will stretch and give under load so sails would never stay properly trimmed.
What To Look For In A Quality Rope
If you want a rope that is strong, reliable and durable you have to buy good quality, but how can you tell if what you are buying is up to standard. Here are some things you should look out for that highlight why quality rope is important:
• Place of manufacture – inferior materials are often used in the construction of rope, particularly those made overseas, and the manufacturing process is not high standard. At Whittam Ropes, every rope in our range is made right here in Australia in our own production facility so we have complete control over the materials and the manufacturing process. This means our quality control procedures are unrivalled and ensure you get a high quality rope every time.
• Initial inspection – broken yarn filaments in a rope can result in reduced strength and premature wear. Manufacturers of good quality ropes, like Whittam Ropes, have quality control procedures to eliminate the problem as much as possible to ensure a consistent level of performance in every product.
• Strand quality – manufacturers of quality ropes also have strict procedures in place to prevent looped or pulled strands, as they can reduce performance and increase degradation.
• Variations in colour quality – in low quality rope, colours fade very quickly and the material starts to break down within months. This is usually because of the yarn – low quality manufacturers use yarns from different lots, or low grade yarns, which result in inconsistent quality. The ropes made by Whittam Ropes only use top quality yarns that stand the test of time.
• Overall appearance – sometimes you will see telltale signs that a rope is low quality (they could be dirty, or have grease spots), but most of the time a low quality rope looks exactly the same as a good quality rope. The differences only become apparent when you require your rope product for an important task and it fails. A low quality ropes degrades at a much faster rate. Overall performance is also poorer. It is therefore essential that you buy rope from a manufacturer that you can trust.
Buying A Quality Rope
It is easy to buy a rope that looks good and has an attractive price tag. The problem is you will not usually discover problems until it is too late. Some example scenarios would include when out at sea, a strong wind or storm may cause low quality rope to break or snap causing loss of control of your vessel. You may even be pulling a cable through a pipe using a draw string, which has the potential to fail if the rope is of poor quality.
Manufacturing a high quality and reliable rope requires state-of-the-art machinery, the use of top quality materials, and extensive quality control procedures. At Whittam Ropes we achieve higher standards than overseas manufacturers so that you get an unrivaled level of quality and consistency in every rope you buy.